Steroids are synthetic versions of hormone-like substances that the body naturally produces. Steroids are made to operate similarly to these hormones to lessen inflammation.
You may be familiar with anabolic steroids and their potentially negative effects. Anabolic steroids are synthetic hormones that are identical to or similar to androgens, the body’s male-type sex hormones.
Some people use anabolic steroids in the hopes that they will enhance their athletic ability or physical appearance. Due to their effects like those of testosterone, even athletes occasionally use anabolic steroids.
In this article, I have tried to talk about different types of anabolic steroids, their uses, risks, and a lot more.
What Are Anabolic Steroids?
Synthetic (man-made) hormones are known as anabolic steroids which resemble the male hormone testosterone in their capacity to stimulate the development of male secondary sex traits and in their ability to increase muscle growth.
The scientific name of this class of drugs is anabolic-androgenic steroids. Corticosteroids, which are drugs used to treat a variety of chronic conditions like arthritis or asthma, are different from anabolic steroids.
They are frequently referred to by their street names, such as stackers, gear, Arnolds, roids, gym candy, juice, and pumpers.
As per this information, legal prescriptions for anabolic steroids are available to treat diseases that cause loss of muscle caused by HIV or cancer
It may also be prescribed for aiding in diseases like anemia, short stature, hypogonadism, and osteoporosis.
Anabolic steroids could also be referred to for conditions like delayed puberty, and diseases that cause steroid hormone deficiency.
Stanozolol, trenbolone acetate, oxandrolone, oxymetholone, and nandrolone are a few anabolic steroid examples.
How Do Anabolic Steroids Work?
The way anabolic steroids function in the body is by mimicking the traits of hormones that occur naturally in the body.
By imitating the body’s response to naturally occurring testosterone, these steroids promote the growth of muscular tissue.
They can activate the body’s testosterone receptors because of how chemically similar they are to testosterone. They target the androgen receptor and its metabolite dihydrotestosterone.
As soon as the receptors are activated, metabolic chain reactions start happening in the body as the drug tells it to produce more muscle tissue.
Additionally, the use of anabolic steroids causes virilization or the development of masculine characteristics like a deeper voice and an increased libido.
Types Of Anabolic Steroids
The primary types of anabolic steroids are-
Anabolic steroids for bulking: To develop remarkable amounts of muscle and strength, bulking anabolic steroids are employed.
Cutting anabolic steroids: Cutting anabolic steroids are used to maintain hypertrophy, improve fat burning, and improve muscle definition.
Performance anabolic steroids: Performance anabolic steroids are used for strength and endurance.
According to the information, some oral forms taken by mouth include-
Some injectable forms taken intramuscularly include-
- Boldenone undecylenate
- Methenolone enanthate
- Testosterone cypionate
- Trenbolone acetate
- Testosterone Enanthate
- Nandrolone phenylpropionate
- How do people misuse anabolic steroids?
Anabolic steroids are illegally used by people to gain lean muscle mass, hasten the healing process after injuries, and lose fat.
These drugs have been misused by people of all ages, including teenage boys with body dysmorphic disorder. Some people might use anabolic steroids if they do not think their bodies are strong or big enough.
Even some bodybuilders, weightlifters, and athletes regularly take them to enhance their physical prowess and develop their physiques.
How Are Anabolic Steroids Taken?
Anabolic steroids could be used topically as creams or gels, taken orally as tablets, or administered intramuscularly.
Thus, anabolic steroids might be used in the following ways-
- Cycling means using the medicine for a while, taking a break, and then restarting.
- Stacking is when you use more than one kind of anabolic steroid at once.
- Pyramiding is the practice of combining stacking with cycling.
- Plateauing is the rapid changeover to another steroid followed by the subsequent move back after some time.
Side Effects Of Anabolic Steroids
Anabolic steroids may have a lower risk of side effects when used in small doses for brief periods. However, using steroids in large doses, especially for an extended period, could have several side effects.
The use of anabolic steroids can change the body’s normal hormonal production. Nevertheless, if the drugs are stopped, the majority of side effects can be reversed.
Some common side effects may include-
- Severe acne
- Hair loss
- Liver and kidney disease
- Heart disease
- Mental problems
- Azoospermia(complete absence of sperm formation)
- Menstrual irregularities in women
- Bacterial Infections
Can Anabolic Steroid Use Be Fatal?
Anabolic steroid use can be fatal in the following ways:
- Steroids have an impact on specific cells when they enter the body. For instance, tumors and cancer can form in the liver.
- Both tumors and cysts have the potential to burst, resulting in internal bleeding, and possibly death.
- The immune system may be weakened by steroids. The body is unable to adequately fight off infection and disease.
- Heart attacks and strokes can result from steroid abuse as deposits inside arteries brought on by steroid use could obstruct blood flow.
- A heart attack can happen when the heart’s blood supply is cut off. A stroke may happen if the brain’s blood supply is cut off.
- HIV and hepatitis B and C may be acquired through the needle injection of steroids.
- The injection equipment that drug users frequently share has the potential to spread viruses that can be fatal.
Anabolic Steroids Withdrawal Symptoms
The use of anabolic steroids can result in addiction and dependence. The most prevalent type of anabolic steroid withdrawal is testosterone withdrawal.
Depending on the frequency of prior use, these symptoms may be challenging to manage. The duration of withdrawal symptoms can range from a few days to two weeks.
Common signs of withdrawal may include-
- Cravings for steroids: The person may crave steroids to a very bad extent.
- Depression: Anabolic steroid users often go into a deep depression once they stop using it.
- Insomnia: People may find it difficult to sleep because their bodies will keep wanting the steroids.
- Mood swings: Extreme mood swings are very common withdrawal symptoms that most people face after stopping steroids.
- Decreased sex drive: Several people will face low libido once they stop the steroids.
- Weakness: People may find themselves to be very weak as anabolic steroids made them very strong and athletic when they were using them.
- Pain in muscle or joints: This can be experienced by many people as anabolic steroids helped to relieve muscle and joint pains when people were using them.
- Lack of appetite: Many people will have a decreased tendency to eat after anabolic steroid withdrawal.
Anabolic steroids are powerful hormones, and they may have a body-wide impact. Anabolic steroids are prescribed by doctors to address particular medical disorders.
The possession, sale, or distribution of anabolic steroids is prohibited without a valid prescription from a physician for a specific medical condition.
In the short term, treating anabolic steroid dependence is safe and manageable. Continuous addiction treatment can lower relapse risk and aid in understanding the driving forces behind steroid abuse.